Monday, September 07, 2015

SG50 National Day Parade

2015 is a significant milestone for Singapore, because it marks the nation's jubilee birthday. This year's NDP was said to have one of the highest budget, because of its significance. 

As usual, I balloted for the tickets, but failed to get them (as usual). Never been known to have such luck, so I was not expecting much though a teeny weeny bit of hope was still there. But if there's one thing about life, its that luck comes in various ways. A friend of mine had balloted successfully and had a ticket to spare! 


And so, indirectly, I get to go for the preview! 

It was not at the Padang area though, the tickets were for the Floating Platform. But who cares, right? The Floating Platform was good enough for me, it had a good view of the awesome fireworks (the best spot to catch them, I would say), and all the aerial flypasts can also be seen clearly. 

The funpack design that I got 

This came absolutely timely, as I was actually looking out for a tote bag somewhat like that, which can fit A4 comfortably. And I was playing with the idea of buying this, which will then cost me way more: 

Ted Baker bags from their pop-up store
One advantage? These bags are waterproof =) 

I was so excited to get the aesthetically pleasing NDP funpack, gushing so loudy and animatedly, that I think people who can hear will be laughing at me. But it doesn't stop there. I was excitedly going through the funpack and all its goodies, with this topping my favourites: 

Me posing with the SINGAPORE scarf

Remember most football clubs have their own scarf with the name of the club embedded? This made me excited because I can see some creativity (finally), though in the practical sense, there is no need for such a scarf in Singapore. For obvious reasons. 

One of the aerial flypast 

The A380 flypast during the Vintage Parade 

This is another reason for me to be excited - the Singapore Airlines A380 flypast. The flypast was rare - once for the last preview before the actual NDP, and once for the NDP itself. I was lucky that the preview I went had the SQ flypast, but alas, from where I was at, the SG50 livery on the fuselage could not be seen. Flying at too high an altitude maybe? Could only faintly spot the SQ logo and the SG50 from its belly. The magnificent plane looked like this: 

Credits: www.todayonline.com 


And then there were more aerial displays. SG50 NDP had one of the MOST displays in history. 

The 50 formation 

Helicopters

And more

One of my favourite captures that evening - to have the aerial display, SG flag, and Singapore Flyer all together

View from the Floating Platform as the sun starts to set. 

The CBD looks amazing against the glowing sky, and I believe this view will make Singaporeans well up in pride. 

No pictures on the parade and the evening performances, as it was at Padang and audience seated at the Floating Platform viewed it from the big screen. But it was not a boring period though, the performances were peppered with small bursts of fireworks here and there, a crowd pleaser. 

And why did I say that the Floating Platform has the BEST view in the house? The place where fireworks are set is right in front of us, and we also have a clear view of most of the CBD buildings that are also launching fireworks from their rooftops. It was surround view fireworks. 

I love fireworks <3 p="">

MAJULAH SINGAPURA! 
To many many more birthdays to come =) 

No comments: